NJMCDirect Plead Not Guilty of a Traffic Violation

If you have received a traffic ticket in New Jersey and feel that it was unfair, you can contest it in court. You should carefully read the ticket and take note of the court date listed on it.

If you believe that you are not guilty of the violation, you can plead not guilty and fight the offense by going to a municipal court.

NJMCDirect Login


Get Support

By pleading not guilty, you gain the right to appear before an NJ Municipal Court judge and contest the traffic violation in court. If found not guilty, the charges will be dropped, and you will not pay any fines or face any suspensions.

It is important to note that if you accumulate enough points on your driver’s license, you could end up losing your license altogether. Therefore, it is recommended that you fight your ticket in court to avoid getting points on your license.

You can also seek legal help from an experienced New Jersey municipal court attorney to review your case and work to get your charges reduced or dismissed.

When Should You Defend Against a Traffic Violation in NJ?

Wondering if it’s worth fighting a traffic ticket? First, figure out if it’s a simple offense. Simple ones include things like improper passing or not signaling a turn. You can explain these without a lawyer, but they can still add up points and fines.

For example, improper passing gets you 4 points. If you had 2 points before, that’s 6, and you pay $150 a year for three years. Not fun.

Now, some offenses are tougher, like drunk driving or driving with a suspended license. These can lead to big fines, losing your license, or even jail. Don’t try defending yourself on these—get a lawyer.

So, check your ticket, know what you’re up against, and decide if you need a lawyer to help.

To plead not guilty to a traffic violation through NJMCDirect, you must follow these steps:

  1. Go to the NJMCDirect website and make an account. You’ll need your court ID, ticket number, and license number from your ticket.
  2. Log in to your NJMCDirect account.
  3. Enter your ticket number and press “Search.”
  4. Under “Case Options,” check “Plead Not Guilty.”
  5. Click “Continue.”
  6. Pick a date for your court hearing.
  7. Check the info and press “Submit.”
  8. Print a copy of the form for yourself.

After doing this, the court will send you a notice with your hearing date. You have to go to the hearing and explain your side.

Here are a few more things to remember:

  1. Tell the court you’re not guilty before the date on your ticket.
  2. You might be able to ask for a hearing over the phone or in person.
  3. Think about getting a traffic ticket lawyer to help you.
  4. If you say you’re not guilty but the court decides you are, you might have to pay more money or get points on your driving record.